GLEN ORCHY is the beautiful valley, twelve miles long, in which the River Orchy runs between Bridge of Orchy and Dalmally.
There were at least ten settlements in the Glen in 1792, with 152 people, when the Minister of the Parish carried out a census. Nowadays only one of these is a permanent home, one name has been used for a later house, with permanent residents, three are used for holiday places, and the rest are either ruins or have disappeared. There are two recent properties, and the population of the Glen is about ten. Many people emigrated from this area in earlier centuries, and we know of at least three towns called Glenorchy elsewhere in the world.
The Glen gives its name to the local church, Glenorchy Kirk, to the Parish, to the shinty team, to the curling club, and of course to the previous landowners, the Lairds of Glenurquhay. Almost the whole Glen is planted with conifers, but it is still a peaceful, beautiful spot, which attracts many visitors, campers, anglers and walkers, as well as many artists.
Eas Urchaidh, Glen Orchy